Dry Eyes: Causes and Remedies
Dry eyes disease is a chronic condition in which there is a lack of sufficient lubrication and moisture on the surface of the eyes. The eyes cannot produce enough tears that are required to nourish them. They are a mix of water- for moisture, oils- for lubrication, mucus- for even spreading, and antibodies and special proteins that prevent infection.
These tears are required to maintain clear vision and help in keeping the surface of the eye healthy. When tears are not able to provide enough moisture, they can cause a lot of discomforts and may also lead to infection. If this is left unnoticed and the treatment is prolonged, this could impair cornea, affect your vision, and may scar the eye tissue.
There can be several reasons for dry eyes. There are some common causes like air conditioner, heater and other things which may cause the tear film to dry up. Other causes include the natural ageing process, side-effects of certain drugs and diseases that affect your ability to make tears.
There are some treatment options available that can bring relief to the eyes.
- Small addition and inclusions in the diet. Adding more omega 3 fatty acids may help with dry eyes in a few cases.
- Exercising and massaging of the eyes can help prevent dryness of the eyes.
- Reducing the screen time. It is advisable to follow the 20-20-20 rule. One should take a 20 second break from your digital device every 20 minutes and look away at something which is 20 ft away.
- Stay as hydrated as you can. Drinking water helps in keeping the eyes moist.
- If your contact lenses are making you feel dry, you can switch to different kinds. If severe dryness persists, it is advisable to use eye-glasses and avoid wearing lenses.
- Wear sunglasses and shades to protect your eyes. At home, avoid using a hair dryer, air conditioner, or blowing air towards your eyes.
These common tips that help in protecting the eyes from undue dryness.
Many times the symptoms can be managed by treatments like artificial tears, gels, and ointments. In case the discomfort has been prolonged it is advisable to seek professional medical advice.
If the symptoms are not going away, if you are not sure what is causing the dryness of the eyes and if the at-home treatment is not working, make sure to seek professional help.
If this is prolonged it may cause severe abnormalities in which case there is a need for eye surgery. Take more cautious steps when it is the matter of your eyes. Get your treatment done at MM Chokshi Eye Hospital, Vadodara (Gujarat) which has the highest level of technology and quality in eye care.